May Update

Jon Kerr and I went down to the CVR to do a day in the shed on Friday 27th May to help the railway prepare for the Bank Holiday ahead.

First job started by Gregg was to drill out the holes for a set of new brake blocks for 5199.

Drilling the holes in one of the brake blocks
Drilling the holes in one of the brake blocks (W Naylor)

We worked out some basic measurements and Chris Simcock centre-punched the remaining 5x blocks.

After making a couple of pilot holes, we then finished them off with a reamer of 1 inch and 9 /16ths.

Whilst we went for lunch the afternoon shift arrived in the form of Jon Allman and a friend, who were able fit 3x blocks before we returned! We then assisted fitting the final 3, where true to sod’s law the last was the most difficult.

John Allman jacks up one of the brake blocks
John Allman jacks up one of the brake blocks to fit it (W Naylor)

5199 had just had a washout, and so was being steamed to check all gaskets and joints were tight. However, a spot of shunting was required in the yard, and so instead of firing the 33 up we decided we could help with 5199 and at the same time test her new brakes.

Chris and Jon Kerr shunting with 5199
Chris and Jon Kerr shunting with 5199. (W Naylor)

Whilst we were there, the former Hungarian S160 had its new ashpan fitted and old smokebox removed. There is hope of seeing this in steam before the end of the year.

And so once the shunting was complete so was another day of keeping 5199 running.

Regards Will (01/06/11)


Share



See Older Posts...